GEMS Author Kevin Beals, a frequent presenter at GEMS professional development sessions.
GEMS Professional Development
The following Professional Development sessions are open for registration or will be registering in the near future.
You can also contact us as indicated below if you are interested in custom workshops.
GEMS Associates Professional Development, March 18–20, 2014
Do you actively provide professional development to teachers?
Do you have ongoing opportunities to support teachers in mathematics and science education?
Your colleagues at the University of California, Berkeley, invite you to join us for a three day workshop at the Lawrence Hall of Science. This workshop conveys various strategies to increase your capacity and become an ever more effective resource for teachers–by becoming a GEMSAssociate.
Topics and activities covered at the GEMS Associates workshop include:
- An in-depth review of the GEMS philosophy and approach.
- A review of how GEMS addresses national, state, and local frameworks, benchmarks, and standards.
- How the GEMS units can be used to create or augment a larger curriculum.
- Effective strategies for introducing teachers to GEMS curricula and supporting their use of GEMS materials.
- Firsthand experience with a number of GEMS units.
As an Associates Workshop participant, you will receive a certificate of completion, and you will be provided with the GEMS Leaders and the GEMS Teachers Handbooks PLUS ten GEMS Teacher’s Guides of your choice. In addition, you will receive a 15% discount on all future purchases. We will also talk about the parameters for establishing a GEMS Network Site or Center, and whether that is something for you to consider. GEMS Associates have the opportunity to work with us on future initiatives and collaborations, such as field testing of new units, etc. Register for the GEMS Associates Workshop here.
GEMS Curriculum Sequences Workshop, August 4–8, 2014
Join educators from across the country for all or part of this week-long event. We are offering YOU a flexible learning experience! Make this a 1–day, 2–day, 3–day or 5–day summer program.
Monday, August 4 and Tuesday, August 5:
Attend one of following Grade 3–5 Workshops:
2–day GEMS Ocean Sciences Sequence Workshop for grades 3–5
2–day GEMS Space Science Sequence Workshop for grades 3–5
Each of these 2–day workshops will focus on gaining familiarity with the scope of the Sequence, including the core science ideas, the approach to the science and engineering practices including argumentation, and the inclusion of literacy that supports the science instruction.
Wednesday, August 6: Argumentation Workshop
Deepen students’ experience with science learning through the practices of argumentation.
Join the Lawrence Hall of Science staff for a one-day Argumentation Workshop using exemplars from the Space and Ocean Sciences Sequences. The latest understandings about supporting effective argumentation will be featured. Staff at the Lawrence Hall of Science are engaged with several NSF projects focused on developing teacher capacity to facilitate and improve students’ use of argumentation in the science classroom. Spend the day sharing best practices and successful and effective argumentation strategies.
Thursday, August 7 and Friday, August 8: Grades 6–8 Workshops
Attend one of following Grade 6–8 Workshops
2–day GEMS Ocean Sciences Sequence Workshop for grades 6–8
2–day GEMS Space Science Sequence Workshop for grades 6–8
Both of these 2–day workshops will focus on gaining familiarity with the scope of the Sequence, including the core science ideas, the approach to the science and engineering practices including argumentation, and the inclusion of literacy that supports the science instruction.
Register for either a 1–day, 2–day, 3–day or –day summer learning experience.
1 day: Wed, August 6: Argumentation Workshop Only
2 day: Mon–Tues, August 4–5: Grades 3–5 Sequence (either Ocean or Space)
2 day: Thurs–Fri, August 7–8: Grades 6–8 Sequence (either Ocean or Space)
3 day: Mon–Wed, August 4–6: Grades 3–5 Sequence PLUS the Argumentation Day
3 day: Wed–Fri, August 6–8: Grades 6–8 Sequence PLUS the Argumentation Day
5 day: Mon–Fri, August 4–8: Grades 3–5 (either Ocean or Space), Argumentation Workshop, and Grades 6-8 (either Ocean or Space)
To register, visit: https://www.regonline.com/CSS2014
Afterschool KidzScience Fall Workshops
- AfterSchool KidzScience Fall Workshops: AfterSchool KidzScience workshops introduce out-of-school leaders to the use of AfterSchool KidzScience, a collection of easy and fun science kits designed for 3rd–5th graders. Learn how to engage, explore, and make sense with activities on a range of kit-based topics. Participants will be introduced to and participate in a number of the AfterSchool KidzScience 45-minute long sessions. Special attention will be paid to techniques for fostering an inventive, creative, and safe approach to science after school. We anticipate scheduling an AfterSchool KidzScience 2-day workshop in the Fall of 2013. If you would like to speak with a program representative about hosting your own AfterSchool KidzScience workshop, please e-mail Dana Greene or call her at (510) 664-4578.