GEMS Author Kevin Beals, a frequent presenter at GEMS professional development sessions.
GEMS Professional Development
The following Professional Development sessions are open for registration or will be registering in the near future.
You can also contact us as indicated below if you are interested in custom workshops.
GEMS Associates Professional Development, March 18–20, 2014
Do you actively provide professional development to teachers?
Do you have ongoing opportunities to support teachers in mathematics and science education?
Your colleagues at the University of California, Berkeley, invite you to join us for a three day workshop at the Lawrence Hall of Science. This workshop conveys various strategies to increase your capacity and become an ever more effective resource for teachers–by becoming a GEMSAssociate.
Topics and activities covered at the GEMS Associates workshop include:
- An in-depth review of the GEMS philosophy and approach.
- A review of how GEMS addresses national, state, and local frameworks, benchmarks, and standards.
- How the GEMS units can be used to create or augment a larger curriculum.
- Effective strategies for introducing teachers to GEMS curricula and supporting their use of GEMS materials.
- Firsthand experience with a number of GEMS units.
As an Associates Workshop participant, you will receive a certificate of completion, and you will be provided with the GEMS Leaders and the GEMS Teachers Handbooks PLUS ten GEMS Teacher’s Guides of your choice. In addition, you will receive a 15% discount on all future purchases. We will also talk about the parameters for establishing a GEMS Network Site or Center, and whether that is something for you to consider. GEMS Associates have the opportunity to work with us on future initiatives and collaborations, such as field testing of new units, etc. Register for the GEMS Associates Workshop here.
GEMS Curriculum Sequences Workshop, July 28–August 1, 2014
The GEMS Curriculum Sequences are developed by GEMS and published and distributed by Carolina Curriculum. This growing line provides in depth coverage of specific, standards-based topics and includes integrated assessments and complete materials kits.
We currently offer:
GEMS Ocean Sciences Sequence for Grades 3–5
GEMS Ocean Sciences Sequence for Grades 6–8
GEMS Space Science Sequence for Grades 3–5
GEMS Space Science Sequence for Grades 6–8
Content for this workshop is currently under review, so stay tuned for updates and registration information!
Afterschool KidzScience Fall Workshops
- AfterSchool KidzScience Fall Workshops: AfterSchool KidzScience workshops introduce out-of-school leaders to the use of AfterSchool KidzScience, a collection of easy and fun science kits designed for 3rd–5th graders. Learn how to engage, explore, and make sense with activities on a range of kit-based topics. Participants will be introduced to and participate in a number of the AfterSchool KidzScience 45-minute long sessions. Special attention will be paid to techniques for fostering an inventive, creative, and safe approach to science after school. We anticipate scheduling an AfterSchool KidzScience 2-day workshop in the Fall of 2013. If you would like to speak with a program representative about hosting your own AfterSchool KidzScience workshop, please e-mail Dana Greene or call her at (510) 664-4578.